Saturday, March 23, 2013

Words Anyone?

As a writer have you ever needed to translate English to Spanish or maybe French to English? You so wanted to find that special word but wanted to make sure it had the same meaning as the boring one in your head. If so, I've found the site for you.   

Word Hippo has six different functions all designed to help you with words. 

1. Another word for - As I mentioned above, you can find a replacement for that boring word your mind doesn't want to let go of. 

2. What's opposite of - This one I'm not too sure, as a writer, how I'd use it, but you never know . . . it's nice to have it just in case. 

3. Translate the word - My latest book, Going Native on my author site F. L. Williams, has brothers that are Mexican so this one is coming in handy for English to Spanish translations. The translations Word Hippo offers are English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, and Italian. Yea, the Portuguese surprised me too. 

4. Find words -  Think how you want to write something that details a description of a mountain. I can see this being used to find multiple sentences with descriptive terms to get the mental juices bubbling.

5. Sentences with the word - Now this one intrigues me. There you could plug in a sentence you're not happy with, it needs a little more, and see what comes up. Hopefully things that would help you see a bigger picture, a better way to use your words, expand your scene.

6. Use words that rhyme with - Okay . . . this one stumped me. The only thing I could think of was perhaps if I was attempting to write a poem for a scene and needed help with a rhyming word. To push me beyond nice that rhymed with rice type verbiage.

This is a site I have made use as far as the translating words but it offers quite a bit more. Check it out and let me know what you think.


"What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like."
St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment